Years of Experience in the field of Canada Immigration

"Your pathway to Canada begins here, embark on your Canadian dream journey with SayHomeCanada Immigration."

Connect with us
We are Registered Consultants


An open work permit may be applied for by spouses or common-law partners of full-time students holding a valid study permit. The foreign student’s spouse or common-law partner may work if they have an open work permit.
In order to apply, your spouse or partner won’t need a job offer, and their permit will be good for the same amount of time as your study permit. This is a great opportunity for your spouse or common-law partner to make new friends in the neighborhood, obtain useful work experience, and supplement your income. Once you are in Canada, you can apply for a work permit with your spouse or common-law partner.
Spouse open work permit (SOWP) plays a crucial role in facilitating family reunification in Canada with their loved ones and at the same time allows your spouse to work in Canada for any employer with few restrictions. This type of visa can be instrumental in promoting the well-being and stability of families during their stay in Canada. It’s an essential option for those looking to live and work together in Canada during their partner’s study or work stay and at the same time this path allows your spouse the ability to work while supporting their partner’s educational journey in Canada.
immigration consultant brampton
closed work permit to open work permit
Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for an open work permit if you:
are a full-time student at a:
  • Public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
  • Private college-level school in Quebec
  • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters, or Doctorate degree) and have a valid study permit


Submit your query


    We are Registered Consultants


    The government processing fee for a Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) in Canada is 255 CAD – 100 CAD for open permit holder fee and 155 CAD for work permit fee.


    Choosing SayHomeCanada to apply for a Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) is a decision that paves the way for a smoother, more efficient, and ultimately successful journey to reunite with your loved one in Canada. With our expertise, personalized solutions, document assistance, affordability, timely processing, commitment to privacy, and unwavering support, we stand as your trusted partner in turning your dream into a reality. At SayHomeCanada we believe in the value of family and are dedicated to making your Canadian adventure a reality. Embrace the opportunities that Canada offers, secure your Spousal Open Work Permit with confidence, and let us help you begin a new chapter of togetherness in this wonderful country
    immigration consultant in brampton
    about us map

    Learn More From

    Frequently Asked Questions

    The duration of the permit typically coincides with the validity of the sponsor’s study or work permit, and it can vary.
    No, in order to apply for a Spouse Open Work Permit, you do not require a job offer. You can work in Canada for any employer using it

    Processing times can vary, but it may take 35 months. It’s advisable to apply well in advance of
    your planned arrival in Canada.

    Before submitting the application, make sure you are eligible and have the necessary paperwork,
    such as marriage certificates and evidence of your partner’s status.